Get Your Green On
Will you be joining the millions of people eating cabbage on Saint Patrick’s Day? If so, you may enjoy these fun (and healthy) food facts about this cruciferous delight:
• Cabbage is a cousin to kale, broccoli, collards and Brussels sprouts
• There are three primary varieties of cabbage: green, red and Savoy
• Bok choy and Napa (Chinese) cabbage are other varieties
• Cabbage is “in season” during the late fall and winter months, although it’s available in the grocer’s year-round
• Cabbage’s long history includes use as both a food and a medicine
• Steamed cabbage provides cholesterol lowering properties, allowing the fibrous compounds to bind with bile acids in the digestive tract
• To retain maximum health benefits, steaming is preferred to microwaving methods
• Cabbage is rich in Vitamin C––more abundant than the C in oranges! This supports the repair and healing of ulcers, certain cancers, depression, digestive disorders (juiced cabbage), immune function and damaged tissues.
• Cabbage provides powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory support
Whew! Who knew cabbage could do all this and more? Check out my cabbage recipe below!
May you live as long as you want, And never want as long as you live.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Serves: 8, generous 1 cup each
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Start to Finish: 20 Minutes
6 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1⁄2 head)
1-1/2 cups peeled and grated carrots (2-3 medium)
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
· Place cabbage and carrots in a colander; rinse thoroughly with cold water to crisp. Let drain for 5 minutes.
· Meanwhile, whisk cilantro, vinegar, oil and salt in a large bowl. Add cabbage and carrots; toss well to coat.
· Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Toss again to refresh just before serving.
· For an even faster method, use a coleslaw mix containing cabbage and carrots from the produce section of the supermarket.
· May also add chopped tomatoes and diced jalapeños. Wait until just before serving to add cilantro.
· Garnish with avocado slices.